Ducktown talks park, trails project
Article Author: by Joe Gaskill
The Ducktown City Commission met Thursday, April 3rd 2014 at 7:00 p.m. Commissioners Doug Collins and James Cearly were present with Mayor Talley absent. Items on the agenda included three amendments to city ordinances and resolutions, two new resolutions, and a discussion regarding the city park.
The first item on the agenda was old business which included an amendment to the housing resolution. This amendment lowers the overall match to the grant and raises the grant amount. The grant will now be set at $315,000 and the match at $88,847. This amendment to the housing resolution was passed with Commissioner Collins motioning and Commissioner Cearly seconding.
The next item on the agenda was an amendment to the citing zoning ordinance. Commissioner Collins stated that somehow the Planning Commission had overlooked some commercial zones that needed to be added and this amendment would fix the map. Commissioner Collins motioned for approval with a second from Commissioner Cearly.
The second item of new business was an ordinance pertaining to the “Build to Line” on city streets. This ordinance would require any new city building constructed to be at least five feet from city sidewalks. Motioning was Commissioner Collins with Commissioner Cearly seconding.
The third item on the agenda was a resolution regarding phase II of the city’s trail project. TDEC would provide a grant covering 80% of the cost leaving the city to pay the remaining 20%. Commissioner Cearly stated that he was not comfortable voting on this resolution without looking into property ownership of the area around the proposed trail and the total cost to the city. Commissioner Collins agreed and Commissioner Cearly made a motion to table the resolution until next month’s meeting or a special called meeting. Commissioner Collins seconded the motion to table the resolution. The City Commission also passed a resolution to apply to participate in Tennessee’s Downtown revitalization and education grant program with Commissioner Cearly motioning for approval and Commissioner Collins seconding.
The last item on the agenda was a discussion regarding the city park. Commissioner Cearly made the comment that the cross ties should be moved in order to better facilitate parking. Commissioner Collins agreed and Commissioner Cearly made a motion to move the cross ties four feet back from their current location with Commissioner Collins seconding.
Polk County News | P.O.
Box 129 | 3 Main Street | Benton TN 37307
phone: 423-338-2818 | fax: 423-338-4574 | email
web site development Lisa Affordable Web Sites